SIGBED Frank Anger Memorial Award 2020Call for Applications
The Frank Anger Memorial Award is a student award in the name of late Dr. Frank Anger that promotes cross-disciplinary research between embedded systems and software engineering. We are now soliciting applications from qualified students in the SIGBED community for the 2020 award.
To qualify for the award, the student must be:
2020: Adeola Bannis (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh | Advisor: Pei Zhang; Co-Advisor: Hae Young Noh)
2012: Indranil Saha (University of California, Los Angeles)
2011: Mohamed A. Bamakhrama (Leiden University) and Miroslav Pajic (University of Pennsylvania)
2009: Timothy Hnat (University of Virginia)
2008: Georgios Fainekos (University of Pennsylvania)
2007: Gabor Madl (University of California, Irvine)
2006: Bernhard Egger (Seoul National University), Cesar Sanchez (Stanford University)
An application should consist of the following documents:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume, listing the student’s relevant publications (up to 2 pages);
- A synopsis of original research that the student is pursuing, with pointers to at least one publication at a SIGBED-sponsored conference in 2019 or 2020 (up to 2 pages);
- A proposal to attend a SIGSOFT conference (see http://www.sigsoft.org/) in which the student discusses the potential for crossover in ideas between the student’s current research and research in software engineering (up to 1 page);
- A support letter from the student’s research advisor, confirming that the student is in good standing and is pursuing the research described in the proposal. Additional comments on the student’s capabilities and potential in cross-disciplinary research between embedded systems and software engineering are recommended.
The application should be submitted in an email to the SIGBED Secretary/Treasurer (Linh Thi Xuan Phan, firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject “Application for ACM SIGBED Frank Anger Memorial Award 2020”. The email should include the CV, the research synopsis, and the research proposal as a single pdf file, and it should contain the name and email address of the applicant’s research advisor. The applicant’s research advisor should send the support letter directly to the chair of the award selection committee, in an email with the same subject.
To ensure full consideration, please submit your application by:
August 31, 2020.
However, applications may be accepted until a final decision is made.
The winner of the SIGBED Frank Anger Memorial Award will be selected by an award selection committee based on the student’s research record and relevance to the cross-disciplinary spirit of the award. The award will be recognized by the ACM SIGBED Chair at the ESWEEK 2020 virtual conferences. The award consists of a certificate and up to $2,000 to cover the student’s expenses to attend the chosen SIGSOFT conference during the following year. Funding for the award is provided by ACM SIGBED.
2020 Award Selection Committee
- Linh Thi Xuan Phan, University of Pennsylvania (Chair)
- Thao Dang, French National Center for Scientific Research
- Petru Eles, Linköping University
- Christopher Gill, Washington University in St. Louis
- Edward A. Lee, University of California, Berkeley